Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pre School Bound

Emma was So very excited to start school. She couldn't wait. Matthew is the extreme opposite. He does not want to start school at all. All he wants to do is spend all day with Emma. He has loved having her home for the summer. Matthew is so attached to his sister that sometimes I worry it is not normal. When they go to the playground, Emma is busy making new friends and Matthew is busy trying to find where Emma has run off to. He rarely likes making new friends and definitely doesn't like Emma playing with others.
He can't sit still too long to watch a fun movie and hates taking turns with most games. He prefers playing with his blocks or train tracks on his own but his favorite thing to do is to pretend to be a chef. He "cooks" for us all day long. His favorite recipe is Chocolate Blueberry Soup. He does not like to color, cut or paste. He just prefers to Doodle in his notepad. He doesn't draw much just make circles and lines.


With all that said, I've been nervous about him starting school in August. I can't see him doing crafts at school or trying to make friends. I can't see him trying new things (he isn't big on change) or taking turns with his classmates. But as the summer has gone by he has surprised me. I took them to a craft class at a local toy store and he did a fantastic job listening to the teacher and following directions. He even made a friend in the class. Also, in his Sunday school class he has been cutting and pasting more regularly with his fantastic teacher. The most recent sign that he is growing up is when I took him to a birthday party for Emma's friend. They said I could bring him along but I was nervous of how he would behave. It was a gymnastics party and he would have to share his Emma with the birthday girl. But once again he did a fantastic job playing with everyone and even tried the Zip Line they had set up.







I have to not worry so much about my little boy but it's so hard for me to do. Emma has been Miss Independant since birth, but Matthew with his early struggles is more clingy and needs some toughening up. Ben has been doing a great job of this at home. Now I need to learn to worry less about the little things. I am trying to be more confident about him going to school especially since it is only a couple weeks away!

No comments:

Post a Comment