Monday, August 8, 2011

First Days of School

Emma started 1st Grade! She didn't have many friends from last year in her class but I knew she would make new ones fast. And she did! She is also keeping in touch with some of her friends from last year so she has a great time seeing everyone at school. Her teacher is Mrs. Beattie and she seems very sweet. We will get to know her better as the year progresses. Emma started the school day at the bus stop with our neighbor Ashton. She had nothing but good reports for her first day. Her only complaint was that they didn't play outside. The heat has been so bad lately that outdoor activities are restricted until it cools off a bit. Or at least until the temperature is below 100!! Emma looked beatiful her first day, dressed in pink of course! Her favorite part of her outfit was her shoes that lit up when you walked. Emma started school on August 1st. Matthew started a week after. I was so extrememly nervous for Matthew to start school that I stayed home from work. That way I could take him to class and pick him up. And honestly how productive would I have been at the office thinking of my little man all day?!? Before he even left for school he had me in tears. Emma and I were leaving to catch her bus and she yelled so sweetly to her baby brother "Matthew have a good first day of school!" and he replied with love "Ok Emma, thanks! I will miss you!!" and then as we closed the door I heard him yell it again "I'm gonna miss you!". MY GOODNESS! How sweet my children can be to eachother. My heart just melted. Then we made it to school and Ben was helping him get settled. As I was sneaking out so he couldn't see me leave I stopped to make sure the teacher knew he was on medication - "yes, yes" Mrs. Mercy said. "We saw his file and know all about him". I know he is in good hands in Pre K. He has the same teachers Emma had and they are great. They remember him from 2 years ago and I think they even requested him in their class. I saw him grab a book and go sit on the circle in the middle of the class. He did not look afraid, he did not seem to even notice I had left. That is when the tears began again in my eyes. Wow - when did I turn into such a softie!

Emma was pretty proud of her little brother!


Matthew sitting down in the circle, ready for school!


Of course, they both survived their first days and were ready to return the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment